Google

Saturday, November 12, 2005

The Fly Theory

A good friend of mine once asked me how I could definitely know that someone is Happy. I gotta say that after some thinking and a lot about mumbling on the subject, using words such as financially stable, friendship, family and love I couldn't come up with a simple solution.
"I have the best theory in the world" he said.
"It's so simple you'd find it hard to believe.
It's called the fly theory."
I'll try to pass it on to you guys. As I remember it's something like this:
Picture yourself in your room, laid back on your bed just staring at the ceiling. You'd think you are alone but a little fly managed its way inside.
If you can get to a point where, in the whole afternoon you spent in your room, the only concern you had is if that damn little dirty fly will or not land on the top of your forehead - and this means that you didn't have to think about money, bills or rent, didn't think about your girlfriend complaining about you spending all your free time with your friends, didn't think about the ass you made of yourself the last time you got so drunk you were blind as a bat - it's just you and the fly. At that moment, trust me (and my friend), you are happy.


Sounds pretty good doesn't it?

Well come down here and you will see that theory is not applicable.
Nopes, not in Australia.
Because here it's aaaaaaaaaall different, they like it deadly and different.
Instead of 1 fly, there are at least 50 mother fu** flies that get into your room every time you open a window lurking for some fresh hair. You have no option but to think only about the flies and try quite energycly to smash the bastards. And it's not just in the Sydney area too. Get a little further north, the flies turn into mosquitoes.
and that's when the bow brakes. I've got just on my left leg over 20 mosquito bites and I did concentrate on trying to turn my whole "body area" into a mosquito holocaust, but without success.

God I regret not accepting the insect repellent that Rick offered me at the airport. "There will be no flies up there, it's too hot, don't worry" I said. And of course I was right, but the mosquitoes do rule in Airlie Beach. They should rename the place “Mosquitoes’ heaven” or “24 hour mosquito special buffet”.

At night there are those who go to sleep to go on the cruises and tours early in the morning, the night victims. Plus all the ones that stand on the porch of their bungalow drinking beer and chilling with their new roommates building an overnight friendship that could last from just that night to a lifetime. (ok, ok. they are pretty much trying to pull the Swedish girls that come by. Quite a "mission impossible", I reckon. Something only Tom Cruise could be able to pull off.

And during daytime, all the guys (and trying not to offend anyone, the guys I am talking about are essentially British. If up to them, drinking could, should and will be one day an Olympic sport. And they will take the gold medal home every time) that went partying all night are either sleeping in their over heated dorms or next to the lagoon. Victims number two.

A good theory like many others has exceptions and so does this one. I think I have made my point.

See you all later. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home