Google

Friday, December 30, 2005

The Cornulla Riots

Let me try and make a point here.
Close your eyes (not before reading the whole sentence please…) and picture in your mind an Australian. What does a typical Australian look like to you? Think about it…

My guess is that you pictured a young male in his twenties. Blond hair, fair eyes, semi long blond hair with a surfer’s look on his face. It’s all right. That’s how I would have pictured it myself once upon a time.
And the problem lays right there. No one sees an Australian with Asian features or dark skinned and for some reason some people are not ready to accept an Asian looking bloke with o accent, living in the country for his whole life as a “true” Australian.


What we can't forget is that Australia was founded on international immigration. Even though they passed an "All White Law" that dictaded at some point that only white caucasian could enter the country, there are so many different nationalities around, especially from the United Kingdom and all over Asia. Such a cultural melting pot is extremely hard to coexist anywhere in the world and I gotta give hands down to Australia for managing it so far.

I was on the beach today; on Bondi Beach which is a beach on the eastern suburbs of Sydney about 10 minute drive from where the riots took place. And some 20 meters away from me about 7 (and I don’t like to use these terms) Middle Eastern looking guys started into an argument with a typical Australian (see definition above…) and all of a sudden the whole beach area stopped. Everyone was staring with the images of the riots still fresh in the memories. I don’t know why it all started and I don’t care since it looked like a silly argument just to get some shit started but no punch was thrown. And honestly, I don’t know what would have happened if it did. There is some kind of tension in the air and I am telling you that the shit will hit the fan soon enough. The Cornulla riots were just the tip of the iceberg of a growing feeling among Australians of nationalism, patriotism and “defending our ground” kinda thing. Mark my words, this is not the end of it...

1 Comments:

Blogger  The Back Yard Closet said...

hey remember me , chic from dominican republic ? chec out my blog .. gissett.blogspot.com
have fun and take care

Thursday, March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home